by Cathy Baker
First steps, no matter how small, change everything.
If you’d told me five months ago that I’d be sitting here twenty-seven pounds lighter, I would’ve died from exhaustive laughter. But now, as I look back, I see it all began with a first step—as does everything in life. Right?
Think about it. Both wise and unwise choices can be traced back to a first step—the step that moves life in one direction or the other.
When Brian and I go for a walk I have to work harder because his legs are longer, as is his stride. Life is no different. Some first steps are long and strong while at other times, we topple like babes on our first attempt. It matters not as long as we’re willing to pick up one proverbial foot and put it in front of the other.
- Interested in honing your skills? Maybe the first step is signing up for an online or community course, checking out a library book, or setting aside time every day to practice.
- Want to develop deeper friendships? Perhaps the first step could be clearing the calendar for a couple of hours to make time for one friend.
- Want to commit to reading Scripture every day? This doesn’t replace quality study or prayer time but one of my favorite new apps is She Reads Truth. Everyday, I access this site for scripture and soon I’ll be starting an online study there as well.
- Do you desire to become a blogger, or a better one? Everyone has a story to tell. Don’t let technology keep you from sharing it. A plethora of sites offer techniques to spiff up your blogging skills. My new favorite? Pinkpot. (Chaitra is one talented woman!) You’ll hopefully see some of these changes on my blog very soon!
- Tired of huffing and puffing after a flight of stairs? I was too! Perhaps the first step could be to simply increase the intake of water every day.
God says in Psalm 119:105 that his word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. If you’ve ever held a lantern to walk at night you know it doesn’t illuminate the entire path, only our next steps.
God gives us what we need, step by step, not path by path.
There have been days since beginning my healthier journey that I’ve been tempted to get ahead of myself, asking questions like, Will I always be able to maintain this lifestyle forever? What happens if I’m locked in a room with Hot and Ready Krispy Kreme doughnuts? You know, those kinds of reflective questions.
I’m learning that it’s only when I remain focused on the choices I’m making today, in the here and now, that I stay encouraged and strengthened. Day by day, step by step.
Your turn! What’s one first step you’ve never regretted?
Want to make a difference in your home?
Subscribe and receive my FREE ebook with sensory tips, Praying In Every Room Of Your Home.
I respect your privacy and will never share your information.