Goodness knows we’ve had enough of them this winter!
Over the past couple of weeks, our area has experienced devastating floods, a tornado, and snow. Gotta love the Carolinas!
With March just around the corner, more rain is sure to come. So let’s consider some fun and meaningful ways to engage our rainy day senses:
What Can We See?
- Read rain-related verses. Here are some to get us started.
- Go through old photos – not for the purpose of organizing but simply to enjoy.
- Watch the rain⏤the way droplets weigh down the leaves on a branch. Or the places where it puddles. Reading the verses beforehand can’t help but add depth to our wonder.
- Hopefully a rainbow!
What Can We Hear?
- Listen⏤really listen⏤to the soft ticking of the rain on your window, umbrella, or rooftop. Rain is a symphony of nature created by God for our listening pleasure.
- Vinyl spinning on a nearby turntable.
- Perhaps a crackling fire if it’s cold outside?
- The sloshing sound from beneath our rain boots as we jump puddles with (or without) our children/grandchildren.
What Can We Smell?
- Step outside and catch the scent of rain. Depending on where it falls (the driveway, freshly plowed dirt, grass, or the pup), we’ll pick up on a variety of aromas. All a delight, except for the latter. 🙂
- Burn a candle as you read a favorite book. (Adorning the Dark by Andrew Peterson is a new fave of mine. This isn’t an affiliate link. I’m just a fan.)
- Soup cooking over a hot stove. Is there anything more soothing than soup on a rainy day? Besides warm chocolate chip cookies, of course.
What Can We Touch?
- Warm pj’s and flannel sheets. Need I say more?
- The hands of a loved one. A rainy night is the ideal setting to unplug and spend time with those God has placed in our lives.
- Birdfeeders. My country birdies are voracious eaters when it rains.
- A pen. Rainy days are perfect for re-engaging the art of a handwritten letter.
- Hearts and lives through prayer. Let’s pull out our prayer journal and lift up the lost and loved ones to the Lord.
What Can We Taste?
- Steamy mugs of tea. Lace it with honey and sip away.
- My go-to Weight Watchers meal from Skinnytaste, Crockpot Sante Fe Chicken. It’s a real meal everyone can enjoy.
- The rain! When’s the last time we put on our rain boots, ran outside, looked up to the heavens and stuck out our tongue? None of us are promised tomorrow, so let’s have some fun!
- The goodness of God. “Taste and see that the Lord is good.” (Psalm 34:8) Rainy days offer a pause⏤physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Set aside time to journal or make a list of specific ways you’ve tasted (experienced firsthand) God’s goodness in recent days.
“You heavens above, rain down my righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the LORD, have created it.” (Isaiah 45:8)
So, which of the five senses do you most enjoy on a rainy day?
Thank you for stopping by! I hope you’ll decide to stay awhile. If you’d like to become a part of the community, simply type your e-address in the righthand sidebar. >>>> Bi-weekly posts offer a pause of goodness to your busy days, and once a month, you’ll also receive a newsletter chock-full of the latest happenings in the Tiny House on the Hill, along with ideas on ways we can draw near to God and love others well.
So, come on over and sit a spell. I’d love to get to know you!