by Cathy Baker
April is National Poetry Month so let’s celebrate!
- Put a poem in a letter: “It’s always a treat to get a letter, but finding a poem in the envelope makes the experience extra special.”
- Celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day: “The idea is simple: select a poem you love, carry it with you, then share it with co-workers, family, and friends.”
- Take a Poem Out to Lunch: “Adding a poem to lunch puts some poetry in your day and gives you something great to read while you eat.”
- Start a Commonplace Book: “Since the Renaissance, devoted readers have been copying their favorite
poems and quotations into notebooks to form their own personal
anthologies called commonplace books.”
- Visit a poetry landmark: “Visiting physical spaces associated with a favorite writer is a memorable way to pay homage to their life and work.”
To read the article in its entirety, which includes all 30 ideas, please visit The American Academy of Poetry.
Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance. – Carl Sandburg