by Cathy Baker
April is National Poetry Month so let’s celebrate!
- Put a poem in a letter: “It’s always a treat to get a letter, but finding a poem in the envelope makes the experience extra special.”
- Celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day: “The idea is simple: select a poem you love, carry it with you, then share it with co-workers, family, and friends.”
- Take a Poem Out to Lunch: “Adding a poem to lunch puts some poetry in your day and gives you something great to read while you eat.”
- Start a Commonplace Book: “Since the Renaissance, devoted readers have been copying their favorite
poems and quotations into notebooks to form their own personal
anthologies called commonplace books.”
- Visit a poetry landmark: “Visiting physical spaces associated with a favorite writer is a memorable way to pay homage to their life and work.”
To read the article in its entirety, which includes all 30 ideas, please visit The American Academy of Poetry.
3 Favorite Poetry Quotes
Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance. – Carl Sandburg