Much like our getaway weekend, I’ll keep this short and sweet.
As many of you know, Brian and I celebrated our 20th year wedding anniversary last week. We could have escaped to many places for this momentous occasion, but we chose instead to celebrate it in our favorite mountain cabin, tucked away in the Saluda NC mountains.
- A yummy (and beautiful) birthday cake from McFarlan’s Bakery in Hendersonville NC. White cake, buttercream icing, with piped fall leaves all a flutter.
- An amazing drive through the Watershed. Though the leaves were not brilliant, God’s handiwork certainly was.
- Bargain Shiny-Brites. $1.00 a box, all in the original packaging. Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!
- Bon-appetit! The meals were scrumptious. Kudos to the Purple Onion, Saluda Grade Cafe, and Green River BBQ. If you’re in the area, you must give them a try!
- Lots of reading/writing time with Rupert (our spoiled Lhasa) curled up in my lap.
- An adorable find in a downtown Hendersonville antique shop — a child’s metal bench (see below). We plan to screen in our back porch soon and this will fit just perfectly.
- A new twist to bargain basement finds! Up until Saturday, our search for a bench to go with our farm table had been to no avail. And then we met Roy Eargle, a 79 year old man with a quick smile and owner of an antique store, Estate Antiques, located in downtown Saluda. After pointing us to the basement of his store, the search was over. There, we came across two old, but smoothly worn beautiful 7′ benches covered with original patina for an amazing price. Sold!
- And last, but certainly not least, we visited the Old Kentucky Home, Thomas Wolfe’s childhood home and basis for his classic novel, “Look Homeward, Angel”. Touring the very house I’m currently reading about, with all its past stories still lingering through original furnishings and finds, was simply phenomenal and downright inspiring. I plan to post a few pictures of our tour tomorrow.
Okay, so much for this post being short — but it was sweet!
Want to make a difference in your home?
Subscribe and receive my FREE ebook with sensory tips, Praying In Every Room Of Your Home.
I respect your privacy and will never share your information.